Saturday, June 19, 2010

The Tides

Greetings from Alaska!

So today I learned how to do something pretty cool...read the tides. Tony taught me how to read a tide book so now I can tell when the fish will be coming in and when the water is high/low. It is so strange here because the tides control everything! Everyone carries around tide books so that they can keep track of them. There are two high tides and two low tides a day, each in the morning and afternoon. When low tide comes here it is insane because the entire inlet river gets sucked dry. Yesterday there were some whales that got caught in one of the tide pools down by the docks. I didn't get to see them but some of the guys that were pouring concrete down there got to see them. (Samantha- if you read this you should pass along the whale info to Ashlie since she was wanting to know about them!)

Also, I am beginning to realize how West Nile was spread. The mosquito's here are awful! I have to be covered in bug spray at all times, but I still will be swarmed by about fifty of them at any given moment. There are these evil ones called white socks (sp?) and they will suck your blood until you have a welt! They are teeny tiny and look like gnats though so they are really hard to spot.  I am considering bathing in deet and wearing a full-body suit.  Seriously, it is that bad.

Well, I must go pull the insides out of four chickens in order to prepare for the twenty+  people I am now cooking dinner for each night. If anyone knows any great recipe's feel free to send them to me!

1 comment:

  1. Ross said to tell you that a 50/50 mixture of Avon Skin So Soft and Rubbing Alcohol is the only thing that kept the sand fleas and misquitos away in SC so give that a try. Maybe you can order some or we can send some. I hope you had fun pulling the innards out of those chickens, lol. I'll try to send some recipes tomorrow!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete