Thursday, June 24, 2010

Early wake-up, solstice parties, and bears.

Well, we have finally started fishing!! Monday was the first day for fishing, which means I now get up between 2am and 4am everyday to start calling customers. Quite a few of our customers are on the East Coast and open at 6am, which is why 2am is now my new breakfast time. Steph and I are starting to have a vastly different schedule and so are the boys. They start work around 5pm everyday for fish processing and process until 8am. So we are all trying to adjust to sleeping only a few hours in the afternoon and being awake the rest of the time. I am struggling with the lack of sleep due to my usual daily sleep amount of 12 hours (I am such a typical college kid haha). But, it is pretty fun so far.

 The people here have been an adventure to meet as well. Everyone here thinks that it is about 1980 and every car reflects that. There is no such thing as a new car in Naknek or King Salmon. One of our cars is a mint green wagoneer from waaaay back in the day that someone felt was necessary to write Naknek Cadillac on in permanent marker. Even though the car is a POS it is definitely a Cadiallac by this towns standards! Most of the vehicles I see driving around town though are four-wheelers.  Very few actual cars!

Monday we got the night off and we all went to go to a Summer Solstice party on the beach. There were a ton of people and a big bonfire. The tides are crazy here so when it got high we were stuck down at the beach for a few hours. It was really fun and a beautiful place to spend some time! We met alot of the other processors and locals from the area and there are some awesome characters in Bristol Bay, to say the least. I do not think I have ever met such eclectic people in all of my life.  I have really loved everyone I have met!

Also, I saw my first bears up close! There were two cubs (still probably about my height even though they were young) playing in a field yesterday. We waited and watched for the mama bear to come for a bit but she never showed up. It was awesome to see them so close. We were probably fifty feet from them.  Thankfully, we were in the car and they didn't notice us.

Well, I must go call more customers. Hope you are all enjoying the heat (I hear its been pretty toasty there). Miss you all!

1 comment:

  1. I had a chance to watch a black bear cub playing in a field when I was in TN. Your dad and I sat and watched the cub eat and walk around. It was amazing. Sounds like you have had some great adventures. Fun to read about them.

    ReplyDelete