Monday, June 14, 2010

No Fish

Well it has been a few days since my last post so I suppose I should fill you all in on the stuff happening up in the far north. Today is the opening day for salmon fishing to start, but not many people (including us) are heading out yet. I guess the fish haven't moved this far north quite yet. We are working on other stuff while we wait for them to get here (cleaning the processing plant, stocking up on food, repairing nets, etc). I will let you all know when the boat actually heads out into the bay! It should make for some VERY long workdays.

Cooking three meals a day is about the only constant in our daily routines. The cooking has been an adventure so far becuase I have so little experience cooking meat (life-long vegetarian). I made pulled pork last night along with some homemade scalloped potatoes and corn on the cob. I didn't eat the pork (obviously) but everyone told me it tasted really good so I must be getting the hang of it. Other than that I have been cleaning, doing inventory at the processing plant, ordering machine parts, and creating a fan page on facebook for Wild Alaska Salmon and Seafood (check it out!) Today I am learning how to vacuum pack bags so when the fish get here I can help in the processing plant. We pack these sealed bags full of crystals that freeze so that we can ship the fish. I will let you know how it goes as the season progresses.  I am excited to start getting fish!

Hope all is wonderful down south! I miss you all!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like things are going well so far. Thats funny that you have to wait for the fish to come to you. You aren't missing much here in the hot, sweltering south either. Its too hot to enjoy being outside, and I would love to trade places with you right about now :) We miss you lots, keep up the good cooking. Maybe when you get back you can come cook for us for a change! Have a fantastic week!

    Love
    Ross, Sara, and the girls

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    We miss you. Since you will be cooking for those guys, put us on the list. I love pulled pork! We miss you. Have fun.

    Love
    Dad and Jen

    ReplyDelete