Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Traditional Sweat House

So last night I got to do the coolest thing! Steph and I met this woman and her husband, who are friends with Tony and Heather, and they invited us to their house last night to use their sweat house. It was this super rustic outdoor sauna that is heated with hot rocks and a wood burning stove.  It was so awesome! We sat in it for hours! I've never been in a normal sauna, let alone an extremely rustic one in western Alaska.  Apparently, it is quite common in remote areas in Alaska for the residents to have sweat houses.  This was news to me! VERY good news :)

It can also be used as a shower so I got to bathe outside. The experience was so unique and invigorating.  Anette (the woman who owns it) said she always showers in there. I have to agree with her that showering in there was the best way to get clean. I felt so relaxed and wonderful after my steam/shower.  Stephanie and I are hoping we get another invite this summer!

 On another note, one day soon I think I may go down to the shooting range with some of the guys and learn how to shoot a gun…it is a little scary to think about but it seemed like the perfect opportunity to try it out. I hear the view from the range is incredible as well so I am looking forward to that. Hope you all have great days!

Sending my love from the North!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that sounds like a crazy experience. Now I know what a sweat house is, and it doesn't sound disgusting like I thought it would. Lol. Definitely learn to shoot a gun, it is loads of fun. The first shot is a little scary but then you won't want to quit. We miss you, have a good day! Happy hump day :)
    xoxo
    Sara

    ReplyDelete