Thursday, July 8, 2010

Smelly Fish

All is well up here in the great, white north. Although thanks to it being in the 60's and sunny there is more green than white around. There was another bear sighting, but I missed it (AGAIN). There was a bear in our driveway this morning and another one that tore a bunch of garbage out of the back of one of our trucks! Pretty crazy how many bears there are here...although I have yet to see an adult bear. I see the same two cubs pretty regularly by the processing plant.

Work is going well. I find myself constantly covered in dirt and/or fish guts but I suppose that comes with the job. I spent Monday night processing again, which included scraping the scales off the meat side of the fish, removing blood clots, packing, and vacuum sealing all of the product. We have been bringing in about 10,000 lbs per tide and there are two tides a day that we fish. I think we all must smell pretty fishy all the time but I am immune to the smell at this point. We picked up a hitch-hiker (everyone hitch hikes here-it is totally safe and how we get into town once in awhile) and he got in the car and told us right away, "man, you guys smell like fish!" haha. I feel bad for whoever gets stuck next to any of us on the long plane ride home!

Hoping to go over to Katmai National Park soon. It's about $250 to charter a flight and I hear that it is totally worth it.  If I do go I will let everyone know because aside from being gorgeous there is some really great bear watching there that I am hoping to get pictures of.

Miss you and love you all!


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like quite an adventure already. I hope you get the chance to head over to Katmai, it sounds amazing. Don't get too close to the bears; just ask Grizzly Man...oh wait, you can because they ATE him. Be careful!! And take a shower once in awhile ;-) We miss you like crazy. I tried to download skype again today and somehow almost ruined the computer, guess it'll be a job for Ross this weekend. Love and miss you!! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete