Friday, July 2, 2010

Naknek Fun Facts

Hey everyone, thought I would post some funny things about the town I spend my time in. For all of us that thought Watseka (hometown) was a weird small town...well, this place takes the cake for remote, small-town, craziness.

1.) Naknek Grime-  This is a condition of complete dirtiness. Every person, animal, and object will become covered in this grime approximately 15 minutes after arrival (especially in the fishing industry). There is not any way to ever become clean again after exposure, except perhaps with a lengthy steam...

2.) Going For A "Steam"- A ton of people here have wood burning saunas behind their processors or homes. I was lucky enough to be invited to "go for a steam" with a local woman.  Imagine my surprise when I showed up and everyone was naked!  After the initial shock I loved it. I highly suggest everyone invest in steam house because they are incredible.

3.) Alaska Natives- The natives here own all the land, the businesses, and the only hospital (remember that AK hasn't been a state for that long). It has been a weird adjustment to be the minority in a place. I am really enjoying the culture though!

4.) Cars- They do not exist here. No one has a car and instead everyone has trucks or four-wheelers from 1985 or earlier. Also, every truck either has a cracked windshield or must be jumped in order to leave the driveway each morning.

5.) The Red Dog- this is one of the many local bars. However, it is the site of many stabbings and has been voted one of the roughest bars in America. I went there once and I do not think I will be going back...

6.)Church- Lots of religion overall in the area. We went to a Pentecostal yard sale and the woman selling stuff to be covered in full body tattoos. Loved it!

7.) Home Visits- No one calls before showing up...one minute I am cooking for the regular 20 people that live here and the next minute an extra 5 people are wanting food and beer.  It's like a constant house party.

8.) Consumption- Whiskey and chain smoking are a DAILY activity for many in the fishing industry....its noon, everyone is intoxicated. This has been weird for me to experience, but it is the source of much hilarity. I suppose it goes with the job?  I like to sit back and enjoy the shenanigans.

I am sure I will have 500 more fun facts by the time I get home but I hope you all enjoyed these for now.

Love :)

No comments:

Post a Comment